Brief History of BTI
Beekeeping Training Institute (BTI) Tabora is located in Miombo Woodlands (Dry Savannah Forests) of Tanzania in Tabora region. The Institute is about 4 km South-east of Tabora town, along the Airport Road. Tabora is accessible from the rest of the country by air, roads and railway. BTI is among the Institutes that offer Beekeeping Training for technical cadre at certificate and diploma levels for the SADC Region, East, Central, West African countries and across the world.
The Institute’s history reflects back from the year 1949 when Francis G. Smith (British) arrived in Tabora and established the first Beekeeping Research Center in Miombo Woodlands at the site where BTI is now located. When Smith left Tanzania (By then Tanganyika) in 1962 he handed over the buildings and other facilities to the Beekeeping Department under the Government of Tanzania. The Government utilized the Centre for training beekeepers/farmers and Beekeeping Attendants from all over the country. From 1978 to 1993 the Government decided to utilize the Centre fully by conducting long courses for Certificate and Diploma in Beekeeping. In July, 1994 the courses were transferred to Forest Training Institute (FTI) at Olmotonyi, Arusha, in the spirit of implementing the Government Cost Cutting Policy.
Realizing the importance of Beekeeping in contributing towards implementation of the National Strategy for Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction (MKUKUTA). Stakeholders of beekeeping development requested the government of Tanzania to re-establish BTI at Tabora.
The Government, through the Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism, during the Parliamentary Budget Session for the Financial Year 2007/2008, made a commitment to bring back the Institute to Tabora. The Institute came into effective operation officially on August 2010.